Wednesday 21 January 2015

From the Front Line, Durham CXNE 13, 18th January 2015


Hey you guys, it's Megan, I've just got back from Durham, it was a cold one! Here's the low down.....

For the last two weeks my hard training and good eating regime had gone well, I was ready for it.

We were curious to see how Durham University's cyclocross course had been affected by the hardcore winter weather where snow, sleet and rain were the call of the morning's journey. Needless to say once on site it was freezing cold and the ground was frozen, I knew there and then that it was going to be fast and slippy.

The bikes were soon out, I was kitted up and rode off with my dad for a few practice laps. The course was all about power, although there were a few technical corners on uneven terrain, which later in the day caught out the unwary, there were a lot of straights which required getting your head down and pushing hard. Dad was giving me tips here and there especially with which lines to take and no matter how many laps we did neither of us could get warm!



Time was ticking and I headed to the starting line, as soon as the gun went off Jenn Batey and me shot forwards and I stuck with her until the first corner. This was where I gained the advantage of the inside line and got away quickly, from there on I was working alone.


Trying to keep a steady pace was hard with the thought of Jenn hot on my heels, I was feeling pretty good though and stayed fluid.  The race went really quickly, before I knew it the bell had rung for the final lap, digging in a little more I crossed the finish line in first place with a huge smile on my face.  I love cyclocross!



It's the final round of the CXNE next weekend, sad times, it has been such an amazing series this year and I've constantly been blown away by the amount of ladies participating, here's to an even greater increase in the women's field next season.  

See you all in North Yorkshire next weekend.

Megs
x


You can follow The Development on Facebook: The Development Racing Team

No comments:

Post a Comment