Wednesday 18 April 2012

Alpine Bikes Winter Enduro, Innerleithen 30th January 2012

Angela takes over the crib.....

Just back from Alpine Bikes Night Enduro.

After a 5.30am start and riding to the top of Innerleithen six times and then racing four stages split between the day and night followed by not getting home till midnight......well, I think it's fair to say I'm knackered!

The race was spot on though, really well organised and as it was my first enduro I didn't really know what to expect. I don't know why but I didn't expect as much pedalling. The Downhill runs had quite a lot of cheeky pedally sections thrown in and with a mix of wind, hail, snow, rain and sunshine the tracks all got a bit messy.

(Photo courtesy of Ian Linton)

Night time came and my race runs were just carnage, being used to racing purely downhill and having almost the perfect run knowing the track inside out, these are totally different. You don't know what's around the corner at all, it's all about lightning quick reactions and being ready for anything and everything that is thrown at you, and of course having a LOT of fitness. Oh my god, did I say it was tiring!?

(Night time shenanigans - Photo courtesy of Ian Linton)

Each rider gets timed for each stage and were then added together to give you your overall position.
In downhill if you mess up your run then it's pretty much game over however with enduro it's different as you can grab that time back on another track and the chances of someone else making a mistake too are pretty high.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had taken the win by about 3.5mins. Yay!!

All in all it was a brilliant event, the format is pretty much bang-on and I reckon it's something that's really going to help alongside downhill training in terms of fitness and strength. Damn good weekend, but right now I need to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment